Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

At Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:50:03 +0000, Quentin Garnier <>
Subject: Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:43:49PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> [...]
> You're barking up the wrong tree.  What's annoying is not that the
> numbering changes.  It is that the numbering is relevant to the use of
> the device.  I expect dk(4) devices to be given names (be it real names
> or GUIDs), and I expect to be able to use that whenever I currently have
> to use a string of the form "dkN".

Indeed.  This needs carving in stone somewhere, since folks seem to
forget it.  I think even I have been known to forget it sometimes.  ;-)

> Wrong.  Device numbers should be irrelevant to anything but operations
> on device_t objects.

                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<>       +1 416 218 0099