Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:16:18PM +0200, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:43:49PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > Where component devices are symlinks to the real instances
> >
> >     /dev/pseudobus0/raid0/component0
> >     -> /dev/mainbus/pci0/ppb0/piixide0/atabus0/wd1/disk0/diskpart0
>
> I already pointed this out on port-i386@, but theoretically this sounds like
> a good thing for the ACPI side of things where "pseudo" (ACPI) devices need
> to be matched with "real" devices.
>
> As an example: one thing that holds back the ACPI CPU code I am working on
> is that I need to be sure that e.g. cpu3 that attaches to acpi0 is the same
> cpu3 that has attached to mainbus0. So:

Well, the answer to that is simple:  there should only be one device.
Anything design that doesn't produce that result can go to thrown out
the window without further delay.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost