Re: wbsio(4): Winbond Super I/O driver for lm(4) over wbsio(4) attachment

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Constantine Aleksandrovich Murenin wrote:

The wbsio(4) driver allows one to attach lm(4) on non-standard IO ports,
or, alternatively, discover the said non-standard ports, so that an ap-
propriate lm0 configuration line could be devised for the configuration
file of the kernel.

Best regards,

1. Does it make sense to extend this to any other functions of the
   super-IO chip?  Are any others likely to ever show up on non-
   standard ISA ports?

2. In the man page, please change the statement

        +driver provides support for the Winbond LPC Super I/O ICs.

        +driver provides configuration support for the Winbond LPC
        +Super I/O ICs.

3. As written, wbsio_print() assumes that the ir_size of the lm(4)'s
   isa_attach_args is the same as the size of the wbsio(4)'s ir_size.
   Is this really correct?  Or should we explicitly set the ir_size
   member before calling config_found()?

I will confess that I'm writing this section without datasheets in
front of me...  But I notice that there are some differences in the
lists of devices between wbsio(4) and lm(4).  A few IDs are the same,
but most are different.

I also notice that wbsio(4) uses the device-ID, while lm(4) uses the

4. So, would it make sense to be consistent and use the same xxx-ID in
   both drivers?  (In which case, wbsio(4) could simply include
  nslm7xvar.h rather than having its own ID definitions.)

5. And, does the list of devices in wbsio(4) deliberately exclude the
   rest of the lm(4) devices?  Or could some/all of the remaining
   chips from lm(4) be added to wbsio(4)?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at   |