Re: blocksizes

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:38:14AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
 > >Like most things, there is no universal correct answer here, simply
 > >deciding "always use bytes" because it seems simpler is unlikely to be
 > >the overall best answer.
 >
 > I think the suggestion is to use block numbers (or some other form
 > of addressing larger units) only internally to some subsystem where
 > these have a meaning and to use byte counts between those subsystems.

Yes, that.

 > Quotas should use the units the filesystem uses. For FFS that's
 > probably fragments.

The quota structures that have been brought up are on-disk format
that's not subject to change. Any FS-independent quota code should
internally should use byte counts, but currently quotas are such a
mess that we don't have any such thing anyway. :-/

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost