Re: check & reprogram PCI BAR

bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost said:
> For example, device for which the kernel has no drivers, but still
> have registers mapped in I/O or memory space.

Indeed, this is a problem we don't deal too well with.
(Or BARs on devices which we have drivers for but which
are not used, eg if there are mem and io BARS for the
same register space.)
These need to be accounted for.

> I'm sure PC hardware also have a few fun things I don't know about :)

What comes to mind is PCI devices which decode legacy address ranges,
which can conflict if more than one of a kind is present (VGA cards,
PCI-ISA bridges eg in docking stations).
And there are PCI devices which ACPI uses, so we can only touch them
with care.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt