Re: Fastest dump device

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Edgar Fuß wrote:
What's the fastest type of device NetBSD can dump to?
On sd, it dumps about 3MB/s, making 4GB take ~20 minutes.
Some sort of flash device would be nice.

Probably not really answering the question, but:
NetBSD 5.0/i386's release announcement mentions sparse kernel core dumps.
I wonder if that may help if you're on !i386...

AFAIK, sparse dumps only work on i386. They are not even available on x86_64/amd64 yet. :(

BTW, I have a machine with 6GB, and although it does take a long time to dump, it is well under 20 minutes. (Of course, then savecore runs at reboot and makes another copy of those 6GB...).

Wondering:  would it make sense for savecore to run asynchronously,
rather than waiting for it to complete before continuing with the rest of system startup?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |