==========
audio
==========

,--- matthew sporleder (Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:23:19 -0500) ----*
| Can you check to see if the volume is on/enabled with mixerctl?
`-----------------------------------------------------------*

--------------------
mixerctl -a -v
=>
inputs.dac=254,254 volume delta=2
inputs.dac.mute=off  [ off on ]
inputs.dac2=254,254 volume delta=2
inputs.dac2.mute=off  [ off on ]
inputs.dac3=184,184 volume delta=8
inputs.dac3.mute=off  [ off on ]
record.mic=0,0 volume delta=64
outputs.master=0,0 volume delta=16
outputs.master.mute=off  [ off on ]
inputs.reclvl=0,0 volume delta=16
inputs.reclvl.mute=off  [ off on ]
inputs.beep=255,255 volume delta=64
inputs.beep.mute=off  [ off on ]
outputs.dacsel=DAC01,DAC03  { DAC01 DAC03 }
record.source=ADC00  { ADC00 }
--------------------

,--- der Mouse (Wed, 6 Jan 2010 21:00:49 -0500 (EST)) ----*
| > time cat /usr/pkg/lib/python2.5/test/audiotest.au > /dev/audio
| > =>
| > [ silence ]
|
| How large is that file?  In particular, if it's not pretty close to
| 23296 (2.912*8000) bytes, something is wrong.

--------------------
ls -l  /usr/pkg/lib/python2.5/test/audiotest.au
=>
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  23493 Jan  2 22:01
/usr/pkg/lib/python2.5/test/audiotest.au
--------------------

| > dmesg | egrep -i 'sound|audio'
| > =>
| > [ nothing ]
|
| Assuming that dmesg by itself produces reasonable-looking output (ie,
| so long as dmesg itself isn't broken), this indicates your sound
| hardware isn't hooked up to the audio subsystem.  I would expect the
| cat to /dev/audio to fail in that case - probably with some variety of
| "device not configured" - but I'm regularly surprised by things that
| work (or fail) in ways I did not expect.

You are spot-on -- I didn't post the results for /dev/mixer, which are
here and meet your expectations:

--------------------
for d in audio mixer; do
  echo == $d ==
  time cat /usr/pkg/lib/python2.5/test/audiotest.au > /dev/$d
done
=>
== audio ==

real    0m2.912s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.001s
== mixer ==
cat: stdout: Operation not supported by device

real    0m0.002s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.001s
--------------------

| Perhaps post a pointer to full dmesg?  Someone might be able to say
| something useful based on it.
`---------------------------------------------------------*

I'll provide all the information when asked for it, but will hold off
re-learning how to deploy a file to my home page @comcast.net.

==========
power
==========

,--- Christos Zoulas (Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:31:55 -0500) ----*
| So it does not know how to powerdown through ACPI or it does not work.
`---------------------------------------------------------*

I figure...

,--- Zafer AydoÄ?an (Thu, 7 Jan 2010 01:58:48 +0100) ----*
| try running powerd.
| powerd=yes in /etc/rc.conf
`--------------------------------------------------------*

Simpler:

--------------------
/usr/sbin/powerd -d; echo $?
=>
71
--------------------

==========
trace
==========

BTW, what goes for "truss" in NetBSD?

==========
man
==========

Running

  uname -sr; man -w ptrace; man -S 3 -w ptrace; man -S 2 -k ptrace

on two BSDs -- the NetBSD case is (negatively) stunning:

--------------------
FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
/usr/share/man/man2/ptrace.2.gz
No manual entry for ptrace
ntptrace(8)              - trace a chain of NTP servers back to the primary
source
ptrace(2)                - process tracing and debugging
NetBSD 5.99.23
/usr/share/man/cat2/ptrace.0
/usr/share/man/man2/ptrace.2
man: no entry for ptrace in the manual.
apropos: unknown option -- S
usage: apropos [-C file] [-M path] [-m path] keyword ...

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --