Re: make module loading by boot installboot patchable?

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 04:00:57PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Honestly, the whole idea of booting a kernel without NFS built in
> in a diskless setup is insane. It only adds complexity for no
> gain, and slows down the boot process. (More than with disk boot,
> in both cases: diskless boot is more complex anyway due to the
> DHCP server and TFTP in between, and the slowdown is worse because
> DHCP transactions etc take much more time than a file lookup
> on disk.)

I've done that a lot recently.
Disk has a valid root filesystem, but I want to test new kernel.
So 'pxeboot' the new kernel (MEGALITHIC), then specify wd0a as the
root filesystem when NFS fails to find one.

This did leave an error message about some module not being loaded.

However I did have to make a lot of changes to the server tftp file.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost