Re: WD_QUIRK_FORCE_LBA48

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:46:46PM +0100, Christoph Badura wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:31:11PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > There are ATA-5 drives reporting LBA48 supports. LBA48 showed up before
> > ATA-6 was out (like much features in ATA world, in fact).
>
> So what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

That there are drives out there, which claim LBA48 support but are
otherwise conform to the ATA-5 standart (not ATA-6) and so support
reading sector 0xfffffff using LBA28. If you use the "clamp to 128GB"
jumper they will report a capacity of 0x10000000 and not 0xfffffff.
Of course such drives are old enough to be connected to a controller
which is old enough to not work properly with LBA48.

The problem with sector 0xfffffff started showing up with some
seagate drives (and not other manufacturer drives of same
capacity) long after we added LBA48 support: we added LBA48 support on
2002/01/13, the 0xfffffff sector problem showed up in 2004.