Re: DRM/DRI problems 5.0.1/amd64

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:04:27 -0400
Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk%voicenet.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:29:29 -0400
> Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk%voicenet.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:38:59 -0400
> > Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk%voicenet.com@localhost> wrote:
> >

> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I recently decided to give NetBSD 5.0.1 a shot on my amd64 workstation
> > > at home, with a radeon x850.  I compiled a new kernel with radeondrm
> > > enabled.  Upon rebooting, the card is detected:
> > >
> > > radeondrm0 at vga0: ATI Radeon R480 X850 XT PE (unit 0)
> > > [drm:pid0:drm_load]
> > > [drm:pid0:radeon_driver_load] PCIE card detected
> > > [drm:pid0:drm_ctxbitmap_next] drm_ctxbitmap_next bit : 0
> > > [drm:pid0:drm_ctxbitmap_init] drm_ctxbitmap_init : 0
> > > radeondrm0: Initialized radeon 1.26.0 20060524
> > >
> > > But, with both Xorg from the x11 sets, and with Xorg from the modular
> > > Xorg in pkgsrc, direct rendering is disabled in the X server, and the
> > > log file shows this error:
> > >
> > > (II) RADEON(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
> > > (II) RADEON(0): [pci] 32768 kB allocated with handle 0x4a450000
> > > (II) RADEON(0): [pci] ring handle = 0x4a450000
> > > (EE) RADEON(0): [pci] Could not map ring
> > > (EE) RADEON(0): [pci] PCI failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
> > > (II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
> > > (II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0x7fff800004435000 at
> > > 0x7f7ffdfdb000
> > > (II) RADEON(0): [drm] Closed DRM master.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this working?  I
> > > waffled back and forth on where to ask about this, either tech-kern or
> > > tech-x11, but this seemed most appropriate as I think it's a an issue
> > > with the kernel DRM driver.  I am attaching my full dmesg, with DRM
> > > debugging enabled, and the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
> > >
> > > Also, I gave -current a shot, too, but ran into another DRM related
> > > issue that is apparently already known:
> > >
> > > http://mail-index4.netbsd.org/current-users/2009/06/30/msg009865.html
> > >
> > > Adam
> > >

> > My apologies.  I forgot the files:
> >
> > http://adam.npark.com/Xorg.0.log
> > http://adam.npark.com/dmesg.txt
> >
> > Adam
>
> Finally, I'm curious what cards are supported. The post to current-users
> above has this:
>
> > PS: This is my first Radeon machine running -current, but the
> > external-DRM backport to netbsd-5 is running happily on my amd64 /
> > RadeonHD 4650 box with the pkgsrc modular-xorg-server; I'm typing
> > from an X session there.
>
> So I was thinking that my x1900 would work, or at least be detected by
> radeondrm.  Unfortunately, all I get is:
>
> drm at vga0 not configured
>
> Adam

Alright, so I finally figured out that the "external-DRM backport" is
referring to the code in /usr/src/sys/external/bsd/drm/.  However, my
attempts to build this keep failing.

My first attempt was simply
'cd /usr/src/sys/external/bsd/drm/dist/bsd-core; make' and it fails
because it's unable to find drm.h and drm_internal.h, both of which are
in ../shared-core/

Is there some secret to getting this to work?

Adam