Re: sata tape drives?

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 09:35:16PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:54:55PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
Hi,

I asked in the past about the status of ata (sata) tape drives,
Pauls message reminded me to ask again about the current status,
because the last time it was said that they won't work.

Is it now possible to use such drives?
e.g. http://www.quantum.com/Products/TapeDrives/DLT/DLTV4/Index.aspx

Hard to say ... we do support ATAPI tape drives, and it should work
over SATA if the controller supports ATAPI (e.g. ahcisata).
But I couldn't find what protocol the SATA DLTV4 uses. I'd expect it
to be some kind of ATAPI, but this would need to be confirmed.

http://downloads.quantum.com/dlt_v4/Product_Specification_81-81349-02_A01.pdf
seems to imply the drive conforms to SCSI standards, so the SATA variant
should use ATAPI.

I'll probably get one in a month or so (after the credit card balance becomes a bit more manageable!) so I can check it out.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |