Re: Vnode scope implementation

hi,

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:05 AM, YAMAMOTO
> Takashi<yamt%mwd.biglobe.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
>
>> i have a few more questions.
>>
>> - what about the locking protocol?
>>  in other words, what can and can't a listener do?
>>  while i think that it's a weak area of our kauth in general,
>>  i'm curious especially about this scope because it likely involves
>>  vnode locks.
>
> That is indeed a weak point with kauth(9) at the moment. If you
> remember, a long time ago we decided to add an assertion for being
> able to sleep in kauth_authorize_action() or such, and quickly gave up
> on it. :)
>
> I was under the impression that the VFS locking protocol is about to
> change at some point, which resulted in the decision to place the
> authorization call inside the file-systems rather than outside as I
> originally proposed. Since, at this point, I don't know exactly what
> the new locking protocol will be, I can't really comment on it.

i'm asking for the current locking protocol in your patch,
not the future one.  (eg. the vnode might or might not be locked.
a listener should not touch it at all. :-)

or you will not commit the change until "the new locking protocol"
is available?

>> - what's your plan about filesystems for which it can might impossible
>>  to alter filesystem's decisions?  eg. nfs
>
> I don't have a plan for NFS yet. Does it affect the kauth(9)
> integration with all of our other file-systems, though?

a design which works only for some of filesystems is considered broken,
or less useful at least.  can you please provide a rough plan?

YAMAMOTO Takashi