Re: disappointing upgrade to NetBSD 5.0

On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:49:04 -0700, Dan Engholm <mustang%engholm.org@localhost> wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:55:56 -0700, Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost> wrote:

[deletia]

So I took a cue from you and upgraded my domain0 to NetBSD 5.0 so I could move to Xen 3.3. Now xdm doesn't work. Sheesh. I also tried to boot up with the Xen 3.3 kernel. The XEN3_DOM0 NetBSD kernel that came with NetBSD 5.0 does not boot with this Xen kernel. Since it automatically reboots after a few seconds of delay, I can only go by my memory. There's some message about signatures for the two kernels not matching. I had assumed that a NetBSD Xen 3 kernel would work with Xen kernel 3.3. Am I wrong about this?

The xdm problem was a minor distraction caused by the switch to modular X.org; now I have joy there. I found the "noreboot" Xen kernel configuration option and managed to see what I think the problem is with running Xen 3.3.

(XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
(XEN)  Xen  kernel: 32-bit, PAE, lsb
(XEN)  Dom0 kernel: 32-bit, lsb, paddr 0xc0100000 -> 0xc0a51c54
(XEN)  Dom0 symbol map 0xc0a51c54 -> 0xc0b1e4c0
(XEN) Mismatch between Xen and DOM0

I assume the mismatch is the PAE thingy. In looking at the xenkernel33 package for about 10 minutes, I didn't see any way to tell it to not build with PAE support. (My PC doesn't have enough memory in it to need PAE, anyway.) Why doesn't the kernel produced from the package work with the prebuilt NetBSD kernel? What am I doing wrong?

--Dan