Re: Adding KAUTH_DEVICE_TTY_ATTACH_<TYPE>

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Elad Efrat wrote:

> We have several pieces of code that support attaching a tty. I would
> like to move them away from KAUTH_GENERIC_ISSUSER, and propose
> KAUTH_DEVICE_TTY_ATTACH_ as a replacement, with extensions such as
> SLIP (net/if_sl.c), STRIP (net/if_strip.c), PPP (net/ppp_tty.c),
> BTUART (dev/bluetooth/btuart.c), and BCSP (dev/bluetooth/bcsp.c).

I'm not sure that this really comes under 'attaching a tty'?

All of those are more accurately described as attaching a line discipline
but that is somewhat vague as to the permissions needed so perhaps a
better category is 'create a pseudo device' with sub-categories of NETWORK
for sl(4), strip(4), ppp(4) plus tap(4) and gif(4) etc, BlUETOOTH for
btuart(4) and bcsp(4) plus perhaps DISK for vnd(4) and raid(4) and any
other such that I don't know about..?

(I guess that there are some scopes in place already covering this, but
for example I'm not sure that KAUTH_REQ_NETWORK_INTERFACE_SETPRIV
obviously covers creating a software interface as per SIOCIFCREATE)

regards,
iain