Re: "Marvell Hercules-2" card?

        Hello.  Have you looked at the Promise 4-port SATA cards?  We're using
those under 4.x with good success.  Man pdcsata for details on which cards
are supported.
-Brian
On Apr 27,  5:06pm, der Mouse wrote:
} Subject: Re: "Marvell Hercules-2" card?
} >> I had a look through 4.0.1's src/sys/dev ([...]) and didn't see
} >> anything that has the Marvell and Hercules names together ([...]).
} > I think I have one of these.  I will drop it in a system and see what
} > it looks like on the bus.  If I remember correctly, under Linux,
} > without proprietary Marvell kernel modules, it will attach as a plain
} > SATA controller but won't provide any RAID functionality,
}
} That would be perfect for our use.  The only reason for contemplating a
} RAID card is that it appears to be approximately impossible to get 4 or
} more internal SATA ports on a card without some kind of RAID support.
} A willingness to run JBOD, whether from lack of RAID capability or by
} being RAID-capable and just being configured JBOD, is crucial here.
}
} > So it might be possible to make it work with mvsata,
}
} I don't see anything called mvsata in any of the files* files under
} src/sys/dev/.  Is it post-4.0.1?
}
} > I've received a lot of recommendations for Areca stuff lately.  I too
} > am not much of a 3ware fan.
}
} I'm neither here nor there when it comes to 3ware stuff.  3ware gets
} the same consideration in this decision as anyone else at the same
} functionality and price points.  My impression is that 3ware's stuff is
} overpriced for this use, which really means that it just doesn't play
} to their strengths.
}
} /~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
} \ / Ribbon Campaign
}  X  Against HTML              mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
} / \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B