Re: Opencomm: proplib-based syscall

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 at 08:28:15 +0300, Elad Efrat wrote:
> I wanted to see if the idea in general is accepted before we dwell on
> the implementation details.

I'd say the idea has been accepted decades ago. See the manual page of
V6 Unix indir(2) at
http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/V6/usr/man/man2/indir.2.html :

    .th INDIR II 8/5/73
    .sh NAME
    indir \*- indirect system call
    .sh SYNOPSIS
    (indir = 0.; not in assembler)
    .br
    .ft B
    sys indir; syscall
    .ft R
    .sh DESCRIPTION
    The system call at the location
    .it syscall
    is executed.
    Execution resumes after the
    .it indir
    call.
    .s3
    The main purpose of
    .it indir
    is to allow a program to
    store arguments in system calls and execute them
    out of line in the data segment.
    This preserves the purity of the text segment.
    .s3
    If
    .it indir
    is executed indirectly,
    it is a no-op.
    If the instruction at the indirect
    location is not a system call,
    the executing process will get a fault.
    .sh "SEE ALSO"
    \*-
    .sh DIAGNOSTICS
    \*-

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.