Re: [GSoC] Remote kernel debugging over Ethernet

Hi Jordan,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:38:11PM +0200, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
> I believe people want it.
> However, I'm still looking for an answer to the question about the
> implementation approach.
> What should a student do, if he wants to work over the summer towards a
> goal of producing a functional remote over-Ethernet kernel debugger?
> Write special ipkdb drivers for all the NIC's he has in his posession?
> I, personally, have no experience in writing device drivers, and I find
> fighting with hardware bugs and engineering braindamage not particularly
> attractive.

sounds like the approach to have standard ethernet drivers connect to a
different stack (the debug `stack') by config(1) is not a bad idea. When
connected to this debug stack, interrupts could be disabled and working in
poll mode.

Would this be a working setup?

With regards,
Reinoud