Re: proposal for bus_dma(9) change

On Mar 4, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Andrew Doran wrote:
I agree. Do not add new hacks into basic primitives to permit sloppy coding. By all means poison the facility so that it explodes spectacularly when a consumer does the wrong thing. This forces the problem to be fixed by those who want to run with checking enabled and ensures that it's not going to be
replicated elsewhere.

A number of us have spent a lot of time applying this simple idea. It's increases the pain level for those running -current but in the long term the
result should be a more reliable system.

Andrew

$ grep KASSERT nb4/src/sys/kern/* | wc -l
    396
$ grep KASSERT nb5/src/sys/kern/* | wc -l
   1899

Sure. I can buy "make it explode in the developers face"... I can't buy "let the DMA engine write to a bogus non-zero address if the guy is sloppy"...