Re: proposal for bus_dma(9) change

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 12:41:50AM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
> > I see two ways to fix this: We go through all
> > drivers and set the map pointer explicitely
> > to NULL in the error path of bus_dmamap_create()
>
> Fix the drivers. They likely have a lot of other bugs hidding.

It seems to me you and cube@ misunderstand my intention:

I am fully aware of that a change to the bus_dma(9)
does NOT magically fix all bugs in the drivers.

My intention with the bus_dma(9) API change is to fix this
only one problem for all and *future* drivers for once and all.

My proposed API change makes the assumption always true, the
drivers make. I suppose, the drivers make this assumption
because it is more intuitive to the developers that way.
If I am correct and if we are not going to change the bus_dma(9)
API, then we will always have to fix this only one problem
in the drivers again and again.

Christoph