Re: bad interactive performance when building

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:34:19 +0100
Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:

> possible configurations...? Much fingers have been pointed at memory
> usage patterns penalizing interactive processes that happen to sit idle
> a lot, and thus are agressively swapped out when you have loads of other
> work going on that access lots of files.

Like the file cache filling up all available RAM causing any idle
process to be swapped out?  I've seen this although tuning vm
parameters helped.  The defaults are good for a server setup in general
but desktops tend to have much more need for resident executable+data
space...  I remember propositions to add many comments for various
setups in sysctl.conf(5) related to this.

I guess that a "netbsd desktop" setup will set desktop-friendly
settings by default, eventually.
--
Matt