Re: Input line editing

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:08:36PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> * Performance.  Almost by definition, input line editing is for human
> input.  Even the slowest NetBSD machine (hp300?) is fast compared to
> humans.  (Still, one of the things that would need to be done if this
> is looked at for the tree will be performance hit measurements.)

Applications that use line editing still sometimes handle bulk amounts
of data.  For example, psql, the command line client for PostgreSQL,
is normally used for human interaction, but you also restore a database
by piping previously saved dump output into it.

So, I think you'd want something that could be turned off, or switched
to a miniman processing passthrough behaviour. (like switching the
line discipline on a tty maybe?)

eric