Re: Bloat

> I still think "keep it to 5 lines, but do use inline instead of a macro
> wherever possible" is a decent rule of thumb.

Yes, the hardware really cares how many lines of code something is.
I hope it never requires pretty little ascii teddybears in comments.

If you can't construct a micro test case showing your inline makes
any difference, nevermind a real world scenario, what's the benefit?
Run lmbench, run the mysql benchmark, run whatever.  If it doesn't show
improvement over not having an inline, don't do it.  If you're too lazy
to care, opt for the more flexible approach.

Seems like inline functions is the inline assembly of 2000's ...