Re: rwd0a and label sector marked read-only

Hi,
On Dec,Sunday 14 2008, at 11:22 PM, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:

Of course, playing with skip/seek works around the issue. Marking the labels as writable (through disklabel -W) is another solution.

I fought with this behaviour during my work on haad-dm branch. I think that it is done this way
mostly because of historical reasons.

However, I have a few questions:

- is such behaviour expected when manipulating the char device directly?
yes because you can creat filesystems on the raw partition and therefore check if you do not
overwrite disklabel is needed.

- why EROFS and not EPERM?
- why is it possible to override the aforementioned sector when using label d (under x86) directly, and not when using other labels? Should the checks be any different?
d or c partition was used to access whole partition for write therefore there is no check for disklabel.

Many thanks in advance for your answers!

Regards

Adam.