Re: Path to kmods

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:58:37AM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 05:54:14PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > FWIW, linux has different module sets for native and Xen kernels,
> > and they use different uname -r. I wonder if we should also have different
> > uname -r for amd64/i386 and xen, or use something else (uname -m ?) for
> > it. But changing uname -p may break third-party software builds ...
>
> I disagree. Rather than succumb to uncertainty and deal with an increasing
> number of permutations I think we should focus on fixing compatibility
> issues as they are identified.

The problem I see with this is, as I understand the thread, things are now
dead until we do. Rather than have a number of separate things we merge
once we know work well together, we're now flipping the switch and waiting
for the kabooms.

That seems like a very painful way to do this.

Take care,

Bill