Re: Path to kmods

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 03:09:05PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > it's not; they're different "hardware" after all. Again would you consider
> > it a bug that there are ABI differences between atari and mac68k ?
>
> I don't have any interest in the atari or mac, however for x86 this is
> something that is easily achievable.

But they do exists too, as to the sparc vs sparc64 issue.

> Rather than waste any more time arguing
> about whether or not we should take the path of least resistance, I will
> resolve any differences that matter.

I really think it's not the right approach. there is defined API useable by
modules, that should have the same ABI across different kernels.
I think we should start with this if we really want the same
set of modules to be loadable by different kernels across the same
MACHINE_ARCH. If it's not done this way modules will get broken
quite often.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost