Re: /rescue/init for alternative (Re: CVS commit: src/share/man/man8)

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:37:21PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
  | lukem%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
  |
  | > Log Message:
  | > Document using boot -a and /rescue/init if the system fails to boot with
  | > "init: not found".
  |
  | Should we add "/rescue/init" to initpaths[] in src/sys/kern/init_main.c?

That was considered when I added /rescue, and the idea was rejected.
I don't recall exactly why.

I can speculate that it may be because /rescue/init might not use
the same authentication paths as /sbin/init if you're using
dynamic nsswitch or PAM, but that's probably not the reason.
Maybe someone else can remember.

I'm unfussed either way, and am willing to be convinced by a decent
argument for or against changing the behaviour.

cheers,
Luke.