Re: Repeated NFS failures

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 02:11:28PM +0200, Vincent wrote:
> since quite a bit of time, I experience sporadic but frequent NFS
> failures between my 4.0 i386 server and my amd64-current client.
>
> Sometimes, in the midst of a file transfert (I guess only while writing
> to the server), the transfer would hang. The client is not hung, though,
> so I can access a utility like "nfsstat" which shows an increasing
> number of retries. Yet, "reboot" is stuck and I have to reboot the
> machine the dirty way.

I have seen similar failures with my 4.0 i386 client writing to an AIX
server, only that I didn't have to reboot. Other accesses to the same
nfs mount would hang, too, but I could kill the hanging writing process
and everything would work again. Retrying the write would hang again, so
I think this depends on the data being transferred (more likely, the
transfer size).

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown