Re: Final remote(4) / remote(9) API proposal

Alan Barrett wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
Here's the final remote API I'm proposing. Feedback?

I don't know enough about this to give feedback on the API.  However,
I do have concern that the name "remote" seems confusing.  Computers
can have many types of remote connections or peripherals, and it's not
at all clear from the name "remote" that a "remote control" is what's
meant.

I also don't care about the name, provided it's not confusing.  I'd
suggest some sort of abbreviation that incorporates parts of both words
"remote" and "control".

Hi Alan --

I thought about "rc", but that's even more confusing :) "irc" is still sort've confusing, and implies that the API is limited to IR devices.

cube@ suggested zapper, which made me think of clicker also. Both seem kind've silly though..

I'm sure we can brainstorm something that we can all agree on ;-)

Cheers,
Jared