Re: Setting TERM in single user mode

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:

On 6-Oct-08, at 9:23 PM, Geoff Wing wrote:

On Monday 2008-10-06 12:14 -0400, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. output:
Strictly speaking "console" should be _removed_ from /etc/ttys.  It is
(now) always the wrong device to run getty on.  A "constty" entry is the
only correct way to properly access the system console TTY device.

It still has meaning for single user mode.  See init(8):

I patched my copy of init.c to call getttynam("constty") a long time ago....

        But then you lose the ability to have the console permit root
        login with password (constty secure), but still ask for a password
        when booted into single user (console not secure)

It's sad that David's enhancements to the console driver to provide this device that avoids so many problems with the old unified /dev/console has gone ignored and under-utilized in the official source tree.

        Agreed. I'd like to see NetBSD's ttys default to constty on and
        console off (though at least now they *have* a constty entry).