Re: Setting TERM in single user mode

    Date:        Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:29:09 +0100 (BST)
    From:        David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost>

[Aside: why is this discussion on tech-kern?   I only noticed that
after I sent the previous reply - /.profile and tech-kern don't
really fit together, you'd get more replies probably if you asked
more appropriate people...]

  | Good point. Assume we wrap it in [ -x /usr/bin/tset ]

Then wouldn't that be just what is there already?  The most recent change
to /.profile (which already exists) seems to be Feb 2005, and it already
contains a tset command wrapped in a test to make sure it exists and is
executable (ie: exactly what you proposed!)

So, no, that would be (is) fine.   It never works for me (maybe not for
you) as /usr/bin never exists for me in single user mode - or not at the
time /.profile gets processed.

  | I'm a big vi user, but I have to admit most people find the emacs command
  | line editing more obvious...

It all depends what you're used to I guess, my fingers just work in vi
mode when I'm typing - I like to be able to just type control chars, and
I dislike having to remember all those cute meanings for the control keys...

But as I said, this argument never ends up going anywhere, it is best to
avoid it.

kre