Re: Suggestions wanted

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Michael wrote:

Tcc is an attribute of the CPU being monitored, not of the dbcool
sensor device.  So from the perspective of the dbcool driver, it's
never a known value and would need to be configured in all cases
when the ATD7490 is used.

Does the CPU know it? If it does all you need is an interface for this driver to ask, or, since it seems to be a constant, make the CPUs put their Tcc values at a known location where your driver can pick them up.

I would expect that the CPU does "know" its Tcc value, but it's not clear that there's any way to ask it, other than maybe another command over the PECI interface. The ADT7490 doesn't provide any generic PECI access, and (at least so far) there's nothing else in the NetBSD repertoire that provides such access, either.

I've got an inquiry in to ON Semi's support center to see if there's a hidden access method via the ADT7490, and I'll be scouring the Intel spec sheets to see if there's anything available that could be accessed as part of our CPU identification code.

have fun

Always!

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |