Re: Status of revivesa

bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 04:22:07PM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:
> > >
> > >I wonder if we could merge reviesa only into netbsd-5,
> > >or remove it from the HEAD again before 6.0 or so,
> > >as we have removed 80386 support for SMP improvements.
> > >We have already had "Features to be removed in a later release"
> > >section in the INSTALL notes.
> >
> > This seems to me as a good plan. If we want to be sure that all
> > our supported releases can run in chrooted environment we will
> > have to wait with removing of SA code until 7.0 branch.
>
> Yes.

If you really think so, how can you remove Xen 2.0.x support
from the HEAD right after netbsd-5 will be branched?

We will continue to support recent two release branches,
but it doesn't mean we'll keep obsolete/deprecated functions
in the HEAD with extra maintenance costs through two releases
after removal announcement.

Anyway, it's really no sense to make such a decision without
consulting responsible developers in that area, who will
actually pay the maintenance costs.

We can't be so perfect.
Please consider tradeoff between compatibilty and improvements
and discuss about acceptable compromise.
---
Izumi Tsutsui