Re: porting ZFS

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 09:21:23AM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:21:48PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
1. With NetBSD acting as an ISCSI target, giving NetBSD the ability to provide large amounts of storage to serve via that mechanism would be very
useful.

That's much better served by the LVM work, IMO.

I don't understand why a logical volume manager that requires a pile of
GPLed code for practical use is a better alternative for this than zpool.

Heart of LVM is device-mapper and not userland gpl code we can write our
own tools if we can't use gpl one. We can use both linux and NetBSD LVM
together on different PV/VG/LV's (like linux use lvm1 and lvm2 volumes).

We already have GPL code in a base system and it is not problem for us.
To get LVM working we need one library(libdevmapper) and one tool(lvm).
It is not too much I think.

Regards

Adam.