Myth & Facts about 64bit (was: Re: Silly question)

On Saturday 06 September 2008 19:48:56 Vincent wrote:
> Dear gurus ;)
>
> Just a silly question. If I understand well, any Intel Core 2 processor
> can execute both I386 and AMD64 kernels. Right?
>
> If true, what are the benefits (and drawbacks) of using AMD64 instead of
> I386? Increased memory space, but is there any performance upgrade?
>
> Thanks for any (not too silly) answer to that naive question.
>
> Vincent

http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2008/vortraege/shortpaper/64bitLinux_CLT08.pdf
http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2008/vortraege/audio/64kbps/clt2008_v5_2008-03-02_15-00_16-00%20Mythen%20und%20Fakten%20%C3%BCber%2064bit%20Linux_64kbps.ogg
http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2008/vortraege/audio/56kbps/clt2008_v5_2008-03-02_15-00_16-00%20Mythen%20und%20Fakten%20%C3%BCber%2064bit%20Linux_56kbps.mp3