Re: unconfiguring swap at shutdown

Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 09:24:19PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:38 AM, matthew green wrote:
>>
>>> swapoff == removing a swap device from use, which means, in the
>>> current code, brining all those pages back into ram.
>> Should not matter if all of the processes that would have cared are
>> gone.
>
> The trouble is the unkillable buggers, blocking on some resource that
> will never become available again,  that have gobbled all memory and
> are the reason for needing the rebbot in the first place.

I would consider that "special cases".  In the common case turning off swap
at reboot would be a quick thing that should be done.

If something has gone bad then you will be in trouble anyway.  Better in that
case to add a flag to reboot not to turn off swap, sysctl to change it or
something.

-- Ragge