Re: unconfiguring swap at shutdown

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 05:38:36PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> [...]
> swapoff == removing a swap device from use, which means, in the
> current code, brining all those pages back into ram.

"all swap pages in use" is more correct.

As I understand it, all processes would have already been terminated when
uvm_shutdown() is called. So there would be no more swap pages in use,
exept maybe those used by tmpfs. tmpfs would have to be unmounted before
uvm_shutdown() is called, which is a problem if /dev is on mfs.

Also I think it may fail if tmpfs is larger than physical ram.
I think the right thing would be to either forcibly close the swap devices
after the filesystems have been unmounted, or maybe add a shutdown
hook to raidframe to forcibly close still open raidframe devices.