Re: Idea wanted; block disk on network (SC101T)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:21:13AM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> Guys, who are a type of curiosity loving,
>
> I'm toy'ing an idea to have filesys on cheap SAN devices.  The
> block block is Netgear SC101T and/or Zetera NBOD.  (Yes,
> I'm aware of what OS insides in them;  grab the firmware and
> run strings on them).  Although the UDP-SAN wire protocol is
> not disclosed (yet), Linux camp already has a working program
> to use SC101 SAN as "network block device." I think it's _kool_
> and want to practice the NetBSD way.  My Q is;

That would be cool.

> Q. how can I build block IO device driver "plumb'ing" UDP-SAN
> data pipe?  I assume puffs/refuse would be more/less useful
> naively.

It would look like a very simple version of the iSCSI initiator.  That
uses puffs, but (I think) mostly for the service discovery/devfs
aspects and not so much for the basic block operations.

There's also the coraid AoE protocol as a similar model, we don't have
an implementation of that either.

I'd also like to see a NetBSD port to this and similar devices :)

--
Dan.