Re: revivesa status 2008/07/09

Jason Thorpe wrote:

On Jul 23, 2008, at 7:18 PM, David Holland wrote:

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:52:09PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
I just don't believe that there are very many apps that actually behave
like this.

Right now there aren't, overall, very many apps that are threaded such
that the threading buys much in the way of performance. There also
aren't, overall, very many apps that make 10,000 user threads, because
it doesn't work, at least not without using Erlang or some other
similar environment with its own threading code.

Right, well, the idea all those years ago is that apps would create billions of threads. But if course it didn't really turn out that way. In my day job, I am responsible for an app that creates ~150 threads or so and pretty much everyone involved with it (including me) thinks that's way too many.

Different area, I know, but working in Erlang, creating 150 threads don't even raise an eyebrow.

So, as usual, it all depends on where you work, and with what.

As for the rest of the discussion, I'm staying out of it. I've just come to the realization that NetBSD don't fit my hand that well anymore.

        Johnny