Re: revivesa status 2008/07/09

        As a NetBSD-user since 0.8 days, and as one who still runs 0.9
binaries, I think merging the SA code back into 5.x is a good thing,
especially if it can be done in a modular fashion, as Bill has been doing.
I know that, in theory, you can just copy libthread.so from the 5.x branch
into the 4.x binary tree that you're running at the time you do the
upgrade, but NetBSD has never required that level of file manipulation to
do an upgrade in the past, and I think it would be a bad precedent to
change.  Putting the SA code back into the 5.x branch, continues NetBSD's
long tradition of backward compatibility, and keeps the behavior of least
astonishment that long time NetBSD users have come to know and appreciate.
Given that we're the smallest of all the BSD camps, and given that Bill has
done most of the work necessary to make it all "just work", I think it best
to not introduce a potentially user-losing change. New users won't use SA,
and that's fine.  Those of us who are using production critical SA code,
should be able to upgrade without having to worry overly much about whether
or not the SA code is going to function.  Sometimes, in production
environments, being able to run back reved binaries is absolutely the right
thing to do, even if it's just for a while.
-Brian