Re: Extending sockcred

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Matthew Mondor wrote:

> On Saturday, 5 Jul 2008 8:40:17
> Iain Hibbert <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > as you note, for SOCK_DGRAM sockets it could be better if the
> > server couldjust set an option and get (eg SCM_PID) control
> > messages. I don't seethat it would be very complex to add that
> > capability
>
> I filed kern/39108 which includes the diff for my LOCAL_PROC/SCM_PROC
> implementation.

Perhaps you can make use of sbcreatecontrol() in that? (it might be more
complex for the creds because the struct is variable length I don't know)

Also, I don't wish to be unduly dismissive but do you have a current need
for this?  Although it is a minimal addition, if its not used by anything
then perhaps it is likely to remain in the pr database.. does anything
use LOCAL_PEEREID that could use this to better effect?

hunting in-tree with grep gives me getpeereid(3) as the only usage, and
this is in turn only used by openldap. heimdal and ssh *could* use it but
currently don't seem to. All these are external programs that I guess use
SOCK_STREAM and are unlikely to be changing to a NetBSD specific
implementation.

regards,
iain