Re: get rid of MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT?

cube%cubidou.net@localhost said:
> config(1).  I'm hopeful, it will get through one day :-)

Ah yes - but if you ask me, for a program in plain user's
PATH this is quite a namespace pollution. Should have been
renamed when it was moved.

> I don't think there should be a compile-time decision about whether or
> not the embedded ramdisk should be used or not.

So let's agree that if there is an embedded ramdisk it should
be initialized and made available. Whether it is used as root
device, there must be an additional hint. At that point,
"MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT" and "root on md0a" are about the same.

> Why not getting rid of md_attach_hook and use the configured ram disk
> for the first read of an unconfigured md(4)?

It would be much cleaner if we wouldn't instantiate a fixed
number of md(4) devices in the pseudo-device attach function,
but make it dynamic, like eg vnd(4).
Then the first instance would be created by some initializer
of the embedded ramdisk or the ramdisk module.

I'm a bit wary here because md seems to be used by embedded
ports in more creative ways.
Also, my crash-and-burn test box is diskless where the
module stuff doesn't work.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt