Re: rfc: high-resolution timer framework

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 04:45:50PM +0300, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> This is to announce and request for comments on the so-called
> high-resolution timer framework [1] that we came up with and want to share
> and further improve.

I'm not sure I want to distinguish between HR timers and normal
callouts.  Last time I tried this there was some measurable overhead
from using a rb tree for all callouts and I had more pressing issues.
Another issue is that overlapping use of time counters and interrupt
sources is sometimes difficult. This should be addressed together.

I fully agree with the other comment -- 1 milli second is not a very
useful resolution as you can get already just by bumping HZ.

Joerg