raw_usrreq.c:raw_input() "sockets" variable

While reading raw_input(), I noticed it initializes the local variable
"sockets" and increments it each time a process is woken up, but it is
apparently otherwise unused.  I checked TCP/IP Illustrated, and it was
apparently the case back then too.  Is there any reason why this value
is maintained?  Can we expect gcc to optimize it out?  Should it be

J.T. Conklin