Re: Implementation Proposal for Subfile GSoC

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:21:14AM -0700, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> I don't think this is the right way to go. FreeBSD already has extended
> attribute support for which we've added VOPs. Whatever you do needs to be
> compatabile with them.

Extended attributes have a different design goal. They are meant for
easily lookup of small data and the interface doesn't scale well for
large data. IIRC they have essentially only been used for ACLs and
similiar meta data.

That said, you can easily expose EAs as subfiles, but please don't try
to do it the other way around.

Joerg