Re: Time to deprecate crash dump support in stats tools (or KVM-grovelers in general)?

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:04:32PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> How is it any better to have the code to winkle that stuff out of a
> crash dump take the form of gdb scripts rather than the form of kmem
> grovelers?  I must be missing something; I don't see how moving from a
> stable, well-known, and thoroughly-supported language like C to a
> comparatively unknown, under-specified, moving-target language like gdb
> scripting is a win.

It removes a bunch of non-trivial duplicated code from all over the
source. The GDB scripts can be considered logically part of the kernel
and work independent of the userland version. Given that GDB can have
access to type informations, that is a huge win, IMO.

Joerg