Re: mjf-devfs2 branch

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 03:53:34PM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Monday, 31 Mar 2008 1:54:24
> Thor Lancelot Simon <> wrote:
> > I think block devices should just go away.  Wouldn't this be an
> > opportunetime, too?
> Would this mean that there could no longer be fast read-ahead and
> cached disk device access?

Block devices don't give you that now.  They access the _metadata_
cache -- it no longer holds file data, and the allocation scheme it
uses now is utterly performance-destroying if you try to use a block
device from userspace to get cached access to the underlying disk

  Thor Lancelot Simon

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky