Re: mjf-devfs2 branch

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 03:53:34PM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Monday, 31 Mar 2008 1:54:24
> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I think block devices should just go away.  Wouldn't this be an
> > opportunetime, too?
>
> Would this mean that there could no longer be fast read-ahead and
> cached disk device access?

Block devices don't give you that now.  They access the _metadata_
cache -- it no longer holds file data, and the allocation scheme it
uses now is utterly performance-destroying if you try to use a block
device from userspace to get cached access to the underlying disk
drive.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky