Re: mjf-devfs2 branch

> > On Monday, 31 Mar 2008 1:54:24
> Thor Lancelot Simon <> wrote:
> > I think block devices should just go away.  Wouldn't this be an
> > opportunetime, too?

I haven't heard a convincing argument as to why they're useful, but on the
other hand removing the block device concept from the kernel would take a
lot of work and testing. As far as I know, there is nothing in userspace
that requires them now. It's probably better to do things one step at a

> Would this mean that there could no longer be fast read-ahead and
> cached disk device access?

It's likely that most disks/controllers do that to some extent.