Re: cgd on root

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:37:19 +0100
Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> >    The big question is where to store the cgd parameter file. My goal is
> > to be able to boot from an USB memory stick. It should contain the
> > kernel I boot from, and the parameter file, so I have a separation
> > between the hard drive containing the root, and the parameter file.
>
> How about simply storing the parameters raw on a slice, without a
> filesystem, then going through all the slices in hunt for usable
> parameters in a similar fashion to how RAIDframe automatically finds
> components?
>
> Just thinking out loud ...

To clarify, what I'm hinting at here is the case where the kernel
resides on a small boot partition /dev/wd0a and we have our root cgd
on /dev/wd0e. In this case the USB device, sd0, with the parameters
can't be accessed until after we've already booted.

But for your approach of loading the kernel from USB I agree that
bootprops would be better.