current NetBSD audio architecture

NetBSD's Guide does not tell more about current (4.0) sound architecture,
is it in-kernel mixing like in FreeBSD?

Is NetBSD current (4.99.*) better in terms of sound archtecture then 4.0?

I have searched mailing lists and found two main threads about NetBSD:

but they are outdated and do not tell lot about current NetBSD sound

I tried NetBSD 4.0 but only one cat file > /dev/audio works,
do I need to make some tweaks by audioctl/mixerctl?

Also if I have Intel ICH8 integrated audio I need to load modules or I kave to
recompile kernel with azalia* options?

Thanks in advance and regards