Re: Patch: accept filters for NetBSD

Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <20080128213400.GA6210%coyotepoint.com@localhost>,
Thor Lancelot Simon  <tls%coyotepoint.com@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:30:10PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
A coworker has ported the FreeBSD "accept filter" functionality to
NetBSD (approximately 4.99.40 -- I think the attached patch should
apply cleanly to HEAD today, however).
Oops!  Here's the patch.

Looks ok; but it has a coyotepoint include... Is there documentation for
it? Also it seems a bit awkward to parse ascii strings in the kernel?

Yes, very, but the point is to save the context switches IIUC.

I'm sorry, but this whole thing looks very dodgy to me. :/ There's just
something disturbing about putting string parsing in the kernel network
stack.

What's the motivation of adding the accept filters? I understand one may
be performance -- are there any relevant benchmarks? Is it possible to
hear more about why this is necessary, and what are planned future
extensions, if any?

FWIW, a quick search didn't come up with any benchmarks nor discussions
in the FreeBSD archives. Maybe it was too quick? :)

Also, (as joerg@ pointed out?) what's the reason for putting code in
netinet?

Thanks,

-e.